Sunday, November 18, 2012
Unit 5 The Subtle Mind
UNIT 5 BLOG
Compare and contrast the Loving Kindness exercise and the Subtle mind exercise. Explain your experience including the benefits, frustrations etc.
I opened up the audio of loving kindness first to spark my memory on how I felt during that experience. I remember the little bits of frustration not knowing what to think about during some of the long verbal pauses. But the best part of that experience was visualizing my son and how that motherly kind of connection and love I experienced. I could feel myself really opening and actually smiling to myself with that thought. The other part of it that was frustrating for me was visualizing the enemy-person in front of me. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t do it. Maybe in time it will happen, but not now.
Listening to the subtle mind exercise, using the breath as key during this it was an automatic relaxation for me. I totally benefited from this by falling asleep. Also doesn’t help that I have been awake since 2am this morning and here I am typing away doing this in the early evening of Sunday night at 5:30 pm. Doing this exercise after being awake all day like this made me realize how tired I really am! Looks like I will be going to bed early. (I deliver newspapers early in the mornings everyday.) I need a new job!
Discuss the connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness. Explain how the connection is manifested in your personal life.
I think that spiritual wellness and well-being are a part of the same healthy life. When spiritual wellness is strong you have a tendency to feel better about yourself. Providing a positive outlook on life will translate to a better mental health feeling happy, stronger and in control. For me, this is a big step in surviving a crisis in life or that of someone I have loved.
My spiritual wellness started failing me after a nasty divorce. After that it was, one thing after another. So now I feel as though I have no faith, no healthy spiritual wellness due to some serious blows to my heart. This has really affected my mental and physical well being. My mental well being is now accentuated by extreme stress and anxiety. I know that I cannot continue this very much longer because in the long run it will affect me physically. This is how all 3 have manifested in my life, and as soon as I am done with school- hopefully after this term- I will be able to start making some choices in my life to improve myself for me and for my son.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lauren, were you a spiritual person before your divorce? I ask this because all so often, we are but actors in lifelong movies, and the plots always lead us to where we are now. I wasn't spiritual in the slightest, until my health took a downwards spiral, and my performance at work suffered. It lead me to making the changes that got me started on a path. I, just like so many others found a better side of life because of pain. Pain jars a person from their comfortable ways, and forces them to evaluate the things that are most important to them. Whenever I look back at bad experiences, I don't see them as such. I see them as checkpoints along a road, as lessons in a very long class!
ReplyDeleteLauren,
ReplyDeleteI found using any type of breathing exercise relax me when I am in a stressful situation. So doing the subtle exercise just reminded me how important it is to relax, because the more you are relaxed the less stress you might have. I also believe that having spiritual wellness is very helpful. You said that your spiritual wellness failed you after you got divorced. I was wondering if you had spiritual wellness before the divorced? I just feel spiritual wellness can make your life so much better. If there is any way you can get spiritual wellness back into your life I think your overall health will important as well.
Craig
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteThe subtle exercise definitely reminds us to relax and try to take the mind elsewhere where there is no stress. I know how you feel having a very early job, I wake up at 4:30am Monday to Friday. I come home and I just want to go to sleep anyway, so when I come home and do homework and exercises like the ones for this class, you can only know what the end result is. Zzzz!
I hope that you can find some sort of spiritual wellness no matter what it is. Heartbreak can really bring spirits down and it is important to find ways to keep your spirits up after an emotional event. Hopefully with more exercises, you'll find one that works for you.
Take care.
Hey Lauren,
ReplyDeleteCongrats on taking a nap. The narrator put me to sleep too. I agree 100% with you that when your spiritual wellness is strong that your mental wellness is strong also. Have you noticed a correlation between you being tired with your physical, mental, and spiritual wellness? When individuals are tired they tend to be in a bad mood and not as spiritually strong. Anyways, keep up the good work. This was a very enjoyable read.
Coach Randy Andrews