Introduction
Ordinary
life often presents an individual with extraordinary challenges, complexities,
setbacks and hardships. Psychological health concerns itself with how you
cope, how you are doing in response and whether you find life to be interesting
and enjoyable. Although life is better when we feel good, there is no
avoiding the fact that there will be ups and downs.
The
spiritual wellness involves seeking meaning and purpose in human existence. It
includes the development of deep appreciation for the depth and expanse of life
and natural forces that exist in the universe.
Physical
wellness involves eating well and being physically fit. It would not make sense
for an overweight doctor or person to explain to a client how make the
necessary changes before disease starts. Practice what you preach!
For
myself, I need to work on all these areas myself. Psychologically, I need to
free myself of the toxic relationship I’m in and change jobs. I have a lot to
do in order to change my attitude as well. The number of life experiences in
the recent past (5 years) has taken a toll on me, so I feel as though I am
ready for changes right now. I feel as though life has done a domino effect on
me. The psychological wellness had taken effect on my spiritual wellness as
well. I don’t have much faith for relationship with my son’s father or much
else. So with that, I know I need to really utilize meditation, yoga,
counseling, and attending church. Lastly, I have physical wellness halfway
down. I eat right for the most part, slipping in some junk foods too. I’m
almost 2 years from having my son and still have the baby weight on. I could
really make use of putting in more activity and/or walking to start. I also
like to take care of myself by taking baths, doing my own manicures and
pedicures.
Assessment
In
my own assessment on a scale of 1 – 10, with 1 being low and 10 at the highest
I rate myself psychologically at a 5. I still have my opinions, values, and
beliefs. Changing attitude is not an easy thing to do. Some may say if you
don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
With that said, I’d like to make the changes for both reasons. My son deserves
a happier momma.
Spiritually,
I think I rate myself about the same as psychologically- at a 5 because my life
is meaningful and I do feel I have a purpose. I do have deep feelings, but the
problem is expressing them.
Physically,
I rate myself at 8. I eat generally well most of the time, but could use a bit
more activity. I could also integrate much more fruits and vegetables in my
diet as well.
Goal development
With
the New Year upon us, I almost always make some goals for myself for the
upcoming year. In my psychological development, the first goal to be done is free
myself from a bad relationship. As soon as I do that, I can make better changes
in other areas as well such as moving back to Massachusetts to be with my
family. A goal in my spiritual development would be to become happier.
Physically, my goal is to lose 20 pounds.
Practices for personal health
A
couple strategies that I would implement to foster my psychological growth is
raising my aspirations by embracing and living by higher values and getting
some counseling. I need to reach out for help with a professional who knows about
family laws and also to the few friends I do have where I live. Having higher
values for personal growth would be to look at others’ personality, trust,
commitment to job/ career. Practicing trusting my intuitive skills will help me
in life to not make poor choices in friends/ boyfriends. I value having the few
friends I do have, I sure hope that models well for my son.
Spiritually,
I plan to start practicing writing gratitude and practicing kindness more
often. Doing both of these practices may even help promote a happier feeling
inside. I could get a journal just for writing my gratitude and appreciations
into as well as continuing to journal. Practicing kindness will help me feel
better about myself as well. I recently thought of volunteering or playing with
the kittens and cats at a cage free shelter.
Physically,
walking at least an hour every day will help lose weight. I will also implement
using my Nintendo Wii because I have a Wii fit game. Other Wii games also make
the player stand and move to play, so interacting games such as these will help
burn calories.
Commitment
I
will assess my progress in the next 6 months by keeping a journal that I can
write everything in. I plan to get help from a counselor, track my
psychological changes as well as physical changes. Strategies to maintain
long-term health and wellness would be continuing to document, seeing my
chiropractor once a month and maintaining a more relaxed demeanor by getting
regular massages.
Hey Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI sure do hope that this class has really made you realize, as it was stated at the beginning, "live is precious". The more we value it and embrace it, the more we will start to appreciate these practices of loving and mindfulness. Yes, the toxic relationship must go if you are to be whole. It is good that you have some good eating habits. I too, have to get back to my exercise. When the mornings got cool, my bones started aching when I walk, so I've been saying that I need to find a place to exercise...don't have money for a gym.
I love your idea to go and play with the kittens. I think it will really do your heart some good. I'm not a big fan of having animals, but I'd be willing to bet if there were one around me more, I would really love it. I wish you all the best in the start of your new year. I'm going to put the exercise back in and I have found a place to take yoga and meditation. Although, the Shambhala Center is here in one of our suburbs and I may give them a call as well. I would really like to get into a meditative practice.
One thing I would like to suggest to you is that you treat yourself to being around those friends that are good for you more often. I set a goal of seeing one different friend twice a month. Also, doing the Wii with the baby around to see you being active is a good thing.
All the best to you.
Carla
Sorry I meant to say "Life" is precious.
DeleteLauren, You sound like you have made leaps and bounds since the beginning of this term! It's so good to see you focusing on you and your son. I'm sure there are so many wonderful adventures waiting on you two. I hope you are able to keep up your writing gratitude and loving kindness practices. Those are two of my goals as well.In fact I just wrote your name in my journal so I can pray for you and your journey. My job is scheduling people with counselors and I have yet to hear anyone say they were sorry they called and spent that time with a counselor so I hope that helps you along the way as well. Take care and best wishes. Nanci
ReplyDelete